Why am I seeing this? ** portmap server not responding **?

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Fri Feb 8 20:06:08 UTC 2008

I have a server (RHEL 5) that makes 2 directories available to a bunch
of clients via NFS.  I keep seeing this particular message in the
servers log:

Feb  8 15:02:12 sapphire kernel: portmap: server 192.168.101.164 not
responding, timed out

The machine, 192.168.101.164 is a client machine that isn't even up at
the moment.  I remove the entry from /etc/exports for that machine and
re-ran "exportfs -rv".  I still see this message.

The server isn't mounting any file system or anything from the client
machine.  Why would I see this message on the servers logs?

Ryan