Keyboard layout problem in XEN virtual machine

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Tue Feb 12 05:34:41 UTC 2008

On 2/11/08, Mertens, Bram <mertensb at mazdaeur.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> My office uses a number of Windows-only tools which is forcing me to
> reboot into Windows several times a say.  To avoid this I'd like to set
> up a virtual machine (using XEN) so I can run those tools in it.
>
> After strugling to get Windows XP to install (halfway during the
> installation it forces a restart and after this it wouldn't find the CD)

Indeed, virt-manager is quirky and behaves as your described.  I have found
that directly manipulating the Xen guests through the Xen command line
interface is easier than using virt-manager in certain cases (like the
two-phase WinXX installation, for instance).

I discovered that even though all the keyboard and language settings are
> in XP the keyboard layout is still wrong.  We use azerty keyboards and I
> have configured the virtual machine as such but *after the installation*
> the keyboard is interpreted as querty.  I stress *after the
> installation* because somewhere during the installation you can change
> the keyboard layout - which I did - and after that the keyboard layout
> was interpreted correctly by the installation program.
>
> How can I configure the virtual machine to recognize my keyboard as
> azerty (be-latin1)?
>
> Regards
>
> Bram

You may want to read: Defining other keyboard layout through virt-manager

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/Xen

Good luck!

Jose R Rodriguez
http://www.metztli-it.com