Dual-Core and Quad-Core performance question

Hello:
        Can anyone point me to some information about the performance
differences of say the following systems.

A) 4 Single-Core CPUs running at 3.0GHz

B) 2 Dual-Core CPUs running at 3.0GHz

C) 1 Quad-Core CPU running at 3.0GHz

Everything else being the same, that is 4GB of memory, disk, etc...

        The reason I ask, is I have been told that a Dual-Core System
will only give about a 25% performance improvement over 1 Single-Core
system. That is not it is not twice as fast.

----
Thanks:
Jack Allen