Out of Memory issue (was: redhat-list Digest, Vol 47, Issue 16)

Imed Chihi ichihi at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 17:45:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 12:00 -0500, redhat-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:33:38 +0000
> From: Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
> Subject: Re: Out of Memory issue (was: redhat-list Digest, Vol 47,
> 	Issue 15)
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>

> Thanks for the reply. I have checked the two overcommit parameters and they
> are set as below:
>
> overcommit_memory=0
> overcommit_ratio= 50
>
> What settings would you suggest i try?

That would depend on the allocation patterns of your applications. On a
system with 2 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap, I have tested:

overcommit_memory=2
overcommit_ratio=98

and I could allocate (and use) 3.8 GB of memory for an application
without triggering the OOM. You may need to test some values before you
decide what's best for you.

Good luck :)

 -Imed

--
Imed Chihi - عماد الشيحي
Senior Technical Account Manager         Office: +44-1-252-362-962