tar and --newer usage?

Scott R. Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 14 16:59:06 UTC 2008

I have a RHEL 5.0 Server and CentOS 5.0 machine, both out-of-box installs,
including all packages from CDs.

I have discovered that tar with the --newer option only seems to correctly
perform the "diff" of newer files when it runs on the server housing the
data (RHEL 5.0 in this case).   If I run it on exported directories (on
the CentOS 5.0 system), all files are archived (i.e. --newer doesn't
seem to do anything).

The exports are via CIFS.   Would it make any difference if the export was
via NFS?

Is this the way tar --newer/--after-date/-N should work?  Just on the
server housing the data?

I use tar because it is the most reliable archive method that can be used
with Linux out of the box, no database is needed (such as with bacula,
etc), and it is free.

Thanks for any insights and feedback.

Scott