login delay without Internet

Troy troya at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 24 21:06:48 UTC 2008

If you're just logging in, the only thing the host really needs is to
be able to authenticate you. So if you have local authentication, a
local home directory, and no network drives that need to be mounted,
it should work without a network connection.

If it's a DNS issue, something has to be looking to resolve a name.
You don't need name resolution to log in unless you authenticate to
NIS or LDAP (or something similar), or are requesting some network
storage. If you're checking nsswitch.conf, I would check the passwd,
group, shadow and automount lines.