SCSI Hard disk problem

Sanjay Chakraborty sanjaychakrab at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 03:37:10 UTC 2008

Is new harddrive is refurbish? Did you talk to vendor? if hds  are
good  run hdparm to see the harddisk info. If you find no complain
partition it and install RHEL 4 or 5 to see how it behaves. Old
Redhats are buggy some time.
Does you raid controller see these new hard drives?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Dr. Madhurjya P. Bora
<mpbora at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
> We have an old IBM x225 series server with RAID 1 controller (Ultra 320) with two 36GB hard disk installed (as RAID 1 :/dev/sda). We have now acquired two compatible SCSI hard disks from IBM each with 146GB capacity. I have just inserted the HDs into the front empty slots and configured them as /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc (no raid, just two extra disks), each having only one large partition which is intended to hold some of the user files.
>
> I have partitioned them with fdisk and make an ext3 file system with journal. After that I copied the user data dir to the new partition with "cp -p" to preserve time-stamp and ownership and enabled quota. I then replaced the mounting label in /etc/fstab in the old disk with the new disk i.e. replacing /dev/sda2 with /dev/sdb1.
>
> The system works fine after reboot but after some time (say a day or two) the system complains of the new hard disk (/dev/sdb1) that it contains a filesystem with errors and get it to a fsck session which spans for about an hour. After that the system runs smoothly for about a day and again the same problem occurs.
>
> I am at my wits end as I can not see any procedural anamoly in my installation. BTW, the server runs Redhat8.0 (which came with it) and as it is just a machine containg some user files, we have not bothered replacing with a newer O/S.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --- Madhurjya

> Physics Department, Gauhati University
> Guwahati 781014, India