Issues with top

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Thu Jun 26 16:04:26 UTC 2008

Top is only reporting what it sees, it is not the cause.  I sometimes
see behavior as you are reporting.  Often it's due to either a bad
process, poorly written code, or a possible attack to the kernel, ddos.
I've watched CPU0 at 100%, then it will move to CPU1 at 100%, and leave
CPU0 at < 1%, and back again.   I used to see it happen on a test system
after the M programmers wrote a new function that went haywire.

I've never done a search to find the cause on my Linux boxes, since it
usually only lasts for a few minutes.  It does however wreck havoc on my
systems.

Do a 'cat /proc/loadavg' to see the current dynamic load average. or try
'uptime' that too reports load average.  It may be normal for an Oracle
server to have a load this high.  Also look into 'sar' data to get a
history of your machine.

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
        -Seneca