sending mail w/o sendmail service

steve.stamper at foremost.com steve.stamper at foremost.com
Thu Jun 12 16:55:45 UTC 2008

I have several systems running RH7.2 that can send mail just fine to an
internal corporate mail relay.  I simply edited the sendmail.cf file and
changed the   DS   directive to point to this specific (non MX record)
server.  The sendmail service is not running (corporate standard) on the
RH7.2 servers.

I'm now trying to do the same thing on RHEL3 and am not having any luck.
All mail is being directed back to the loopback address (mail -v
XXX at YYY.com) =
      XXX at YYY.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
      XXX at YYY.com... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

When I telnet to the mail relay on port 25 the manual mail successfully
goes through.  Stumped...  Looking for some ideas.

Thanks - Steve