Re: sending mail w/o sendmail service

It may be firewall related. I have this line in my /etc/sysconfig/iptables file to allow localhost

# Allow localhost full access.
-A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1/32 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT

Add it and restart the firewall.  HTH.

steve stamper foremost com wrote:
I have several systems running RH7.2 that can send mail just fine to an
internal corporate mail relay.  I simply edited the sendmail.cf file and
changed the   DS   directive to point to this specific (non MX record)
server.  The sendmail service is not running (corporate standard) on the
RH7.2 servers.

I'm now trying to do the same thing on RHEL3 and am not having any luck.
All mail is being directed back to the loopback address (mail -v
XXX YYY com) =
      XXX YYY com    Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
      XXX YYY com    Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]

When I telnet to the mail relay on port 25 the manual mail successfully
goes through.  Stumped...  Looking for some ideas.

Thanks - Steve

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
       -Seneca