Newbie question

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 21:43:41 UTC 2008

You'll want to use yum to install these. To install the X11 environment
you'll want to install it's "group". To list available groups that you can
install type:

# > yum grouplist

For example, If you want Gnome installed, you'll want to install the "GNOME
Desktop Environment" group. Install it like this:

#> yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

You may also have to install the "X Window System" group to get gnome to
work. Not sure on that, you'll just have to try and see.

Installing emacs should be as easy as:

#> yum install emacs

But you'll probably want to see what the repositories have to offer first:

#> yum search emacs | less

HTH's,

Romeo

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Paul Copeland <PCopeland at ascentmedia.com>
wrote:

> I installed Redhat 5.1 from a set of 6 CDs I downlaoded from RedHat.
>
> It looks like I don't have X11 or emacs.  How do I go about installing
> these?  Are these in RPM files on those CDs that maybe I did not install
> yet?
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this type of question :-)
>
> TIA

Romeo Theriault
System Administrator