Problems using multipath _ md _ lvm with IBM Series I and DS8000

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Wed Mar 12 13:21:24 UTC 2008

Hmm,

I have seen something on a recent RHN release for a new kernel fix. It
came in yesterday and for what you describe, it looks as if your
device-mapper-multipath module code is causing the problem. Do you have
the problem with the latest new kernel? (see below)

GM

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Bug Fix Advisory - RHBA-2008:0128-3

Updated device-mapper-multipath packages that fix a bug are now available.

The device-mapper-multipath packages provide tools to manage multipath
devices by giving the device-mapper multipath kernel module instructions on
what to do, as well as by managing the creation and removal of partitions
for device-mapper devices.

These updated device-mapper-multipath packages fix a bug that occurs when
running multipath on a device containing the root filesystem. On such
systems, multiple path faults and recovery events could result in the
multipathed host becoming unresponsive.

In order to bring a failed path back online, some multipath devices require
a priority callout program. These programs are located on a ramfs; however,
they were not statically compiled, and needed libraries that were located
on the root filesystem. To fix this, all priority callouts are now
statically compiled.

Users are advised to upgrade to these updated device-mapper-multipath
packages, which resolve this issue.