paravirtualized 32-bit on 64-bit host?

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Fri Mar 14 16:43:17 UTC 2008

On 3/7/08, Furnish, Trever G <TGFurnish at herffjones.com> wrote:

> Anyone managed to get a paravirtualized 32-bit guest working on a 64-bit
> redhat host?  The RHEL5.1 release notes claim there's preview support
> for it.  If by "technology preview" they mean, "We tried it and it
> didn't work", then yeah, I guess there's support.  But I'm having no
> luck. :-(
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/release-note
> s/RELEASE-NOTES-U1-x86_64-en.html
>
> Anyone else fairing better?
>
> --
> Trever

Well last year I installed a 32-bit WinXP instance under 64-bit OpenSuSE
host implementation of Xen.
Of course, proprietary technology is not actually paravirtualized, but
rather fully virutalized with the help of the (AMD CPU in my specific case)
hardware extensions.  You can find an overview of what I did, if interested
of course, at:
http://www.metztli-it.com/blog/index.php?blog=4&title=open-source-on-sun-microsystems-sun-ultr-20&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Regards,

Jose R Rodriguez