NIC Teaming

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Thu Mar 27 10:22:02 UTC 2008

Hi Vivek,
It is also called bonding which might yield better results in google.

It is actually very simple:
Create a new file called ifcfg-bond0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
with the following data inside:
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=Your ip here
NETMASK=Your netmask here

In the interface that you want as part of the bond edit the appropriate
file. For example ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth2 which can also be found in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

You should edit out the ip address and netmask. Make sure the bootproto
is none, keep the hardware address, add slave=yes and add master=bond0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=AA:AA:C4:BE:AA:AA
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
SLAVE=yes
MASTER=bond0

Lastly edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add the following lines:
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=active-backup primary=eth0 miimon=5

the miimon for our use is very low and you might want to make it a bit
higher

Also read:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/marcelo/linux-2.4/Document
ation/networking/bonding.txt

look for the documentation on this page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonding/

Regards