Samba + CUPS high cpu usage and huge logfiles

Marco Nesler satunz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:32:54 UTC 2008

hi all,
i'm running a rhel 5.1 with samba (stand-alone) and cups just for printers
sharing. I noticed that my cupsd process always uses around 7-10% cpu this
is quite strange because the usage is very low (less than 1-2 print jobs
every 10-15mins).
Looking at my logs I noticed that cups logs are really huge, I found a
string like this one repeated several times on my access log:

localhost - - [31/Mar/2008:14:28:13 +0200] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 188
Get-Printer-Attributes successful-ok

Googling around I found some info on samba + cups integration, and it seems
this is a samba bug, basically samba asks cups for printer details several
times for every printer, flooding the logs:
http://www.usenetlinux.com/archive/topic.php/t-891220.html

I cannot use the suggested workaround, i'm not managing properties and
drivers of the printers from samba, is there any other workaround who does
not involve the recompilation of the whole package ? Any suggestion ?

thank you
marco