How to verify a raw partition contains Oracle data

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:56:06 UTC 2008

2008/5/14 sunhux G <sunhux at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>

> We have just presented quite a few SAN disk partitions to
> a couple of of our Redhat servers.
>
> However, since the SAN is a shared resource, we need a
> way to verify that there's certainly no data in the raw SAN
> partitions, in particular Oracle data/database.
>
> "/usr/bin/raw -qa "  returns nothing.
>
> Is there some sort of Oracle or tools that I can use?
> As it's raw partition, "ls /partiton_name"  won't help
>
> THanks
>

> Thanks

Not sure I understand the basic setup.  Where do these LUNs come from?
Depending on the SAN, it can get complicated, but surely the SAN admin
should be able to tell whether the LUNs are also assigned to another system
or not?

Note that in the pre-ASM days, Oracle could also use raw devices, so if your
SAN admin cannot help you out, it's not just ASM you'd need to verify.
(Sorry, never used Oracle with raw devices, so cannot help you further.)

Kind regards,

Herta
--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."