Configuring Network intallation server

nilesh vaghela nileshj.vaghela at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:20:00 UTC 2008

Not so difficult.

I think I have posted it before.

1. First check whether vsftpd rpm is installed or not.

rpm -qa | grep vsftp

2. Insert you first cd and give following command

cp -a /media/mnt_of_cd /var/ftp/pub

3. Repeat the above steps for all cds. ( If you have dvd then no
problem you need to execute once only).

done. :)

4. start you vsftpd services

service vsftpd restart

5. Now there is difference for RHEL4 and RHEL5

RHEL 4 works on dir but for RHEL5 you need yum service

So if you have RHEL 5 read this other wise jump to Client part.

6. # cd /var/ftp/pub/Server
rpm -ivh createrepo-*.rpm

7. #createrepo .  <=========observe dot here after space

8. Wait and observe.....finish good.

Client part :-

for RHEL 4

1. Boot your pc with first cd and give following to boot prompt
boot : linux askmethod

2. when it ask you select ftp method
3. at host or ip address insert your server ip address
4. source dir type "/pub"

Enjoy network installation.

if you are using RHEL5 you copy this file at /etc/yum.repos.d/

[rhel-base]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - basic
baseurl=ftp://ip_address_of_server/Server
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
#gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

Thats it now give

#yum list

Tell me if you have some error.

I hate people they ask questions and after they will not reply what happen.