Quad core vs 2 x dual-core?

Burke, Thomas G. tg.burke at ngc.com
Tue May 20 15:10:56 UTC 2008

There was a discussion on this list about such things not long ago.  The short answer it "it depends"

Forr some apps, the dual duo-core might work better, for some others it might be the other way around.

That said, going way back to the 1st multi-processor boards (long, long ago), they used to say you needed to buy the processors at the same time, that adding a 2nd processor later was cagey.

I don't know the reason for that (although I could argue it, I suppose), but if that holds true today, you'll end up needing to buy either 2 duo-cores, or 1 quad-core.  Whichever is cheaper is probably the way ypou'll want to go, unless you're wantimg to plan for the future, in which case, you might go ahead & buy 2 quad-cores.

     -Tom

I'm not at my desk, but I can be reached at 443-603-7308