How to trap !sh at keyboard

Josh Miller joshua at itsecureadmin.com
Fri May 23 22:02:08 UTC 2008

Billy Davis wrote:
> It seems that some of  our users are inclined to key in '!sh' at the
> shell prompt, which promptly shuts down our Red Hat Enterprise 3 Server,
> interrupting everyone else's work.  Is there a line that we can add to
> the inittab file, that will trap this string, in the same fashion that
> the 'ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now' line traps
> Ctrl-Alt-Delete inputs?

Haha, is this a joke to get people to try it out and shut down their
machines?  I actually tried it on a test-host, not believing you and not
realizing that it would execute the last command that began with sh,
which did happen to be 'shutdown -r now'.

Thanks for the laugh on a Friday afternoon :)

Josh, RHCE