Using Penrose (or similar software) to solve our LDAP needs

Aaron Bliss abliss at brockport.edu
Tue Nov 11 11:44:05 UTC 2008

Kenneth
We are actually going through what you're going through right now, only
inverted.  We have been using Sun's directory server for years, well
deployed throughout our organization and are just getting ready to deploy
AD.  Since AD uses some attributes that are proprietary to AD (for example
the password field for an AD user is the unicodePwd attribute of an object,
whereas on any other ldap v2 and v3 directory server I've used a users'
password is stored in the objects userPassword attribute.  There are other
examples of AD storing attributes in non-standard places as well.  Also, as
you know, AD is not posix aware, meaning you either won't be able to
synchronize those attributes to whatever directory server you use, or you'll
be using your own attributes on the AD side of the house to populate the
posix attributes. Because of this, we are not trying to replicate all
attributes that a object has in our directory server to AD, but rather just
enough to make AD useful, which for us is essentially user authentication to
windows workstations and windows servers.  Were using a tool called adtool
to populate and synchronize our ldap environment to AD (which means that if
you're going to synchronize passwords, you'll need to enable SSL on your
domain controllers).  Since we are managing the replication, we control
exactly what is and isn't replicated from ldap to AD.  Hope that helps.

http://anothersysadmin.wordpress.com/2008/08/19/howto-managing-active-direct
ory-users-under-linux-with-adtool/
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/LDAP_attributes_active_directory.
htm