pam-ldap authentication for SaMBa (no PDC)

SIG - Pédagogie sigpedag at univ-paris1.fr
Mon Nov 17 18:32:02 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm moving a Debian server on RHEL 5.2 and I cannot connect to a SaMBa
share using a login/password stored in a remote LDAP server.

This is how I did it on Debian:

  - create a user account on the system (with no password) with a name
that matches the login in the ldap database
  - modify /etc/pam.d/samba adding "auth sufficient pam_ldap.so"
  - modify "host" and "base" lines of the file /etc/pam_ldap.conf with
LDAP infos

This is my setup in RHEL:

# cat /etc/pam.d/samba
auth       sufficient   pam_ldap.so
auth       include      system-auth

(of course pam_ldap.so exists)

# cat /etc/ldap.conf
host xxx.univ-paris1.fr yyy.univ-paris1.fr zzz.univ-paris1.fr
base dc=univ-paris1,dc=fr
timelimit 120
bind_timelimit 120
idle_timelimit 3600
nss_initgroups_ignoreusers
root,ldap,named,avahi,haldaemon,dbus,radvd,tomcat,radiusd,news,mailman

And I use "encrypt passwords = false" in my /etc/samba/smb.conf file

When I try to access a SMBA share with my login/password, I have this
message in /var/log/messages:

Nov 17 19:20:13 sigtest6 smbd[899]: [2008/11/17 19:20:13, 0]
auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(815)
Nov 17 19:20:13 sigtest6 smbd[899]:   smb_pam_passcheck: PAM:
smb_pam_account failed - Rejecting User xxxx !

The problem probably comes from the PAM configuration but I'm not
familiar with it and most of the things I found on the web deal with PDC
or admin-rights on the LDAP but not simple client remote ldap
authentication.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Cuissard

Université PARIS 1 - Panthéon Sorbonne
SIG-Pédagogie
Tel    : +33 (0)1 44 07 89 76
Fax    : +33 (0)1 44 07 86 10

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.