Can I get the list of all rpm's which are included in the Red Hat Linux 5.2

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 15:17:16 UTC 2008

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
> Hi All!
> Can I get the list of all rpm's which are included in the Red Hat Linux
> 5.2.

If you have the DVD ISO mount it and look in the Server directory.

You can view the list in RHN. Login and select "Channels", the default is for 5.2 so
select the one of the architectures. The page which should appear has a line "Packages:
xxxx", select the "xxxx" which is a number and links to a complete list of all the packages.

 > I need to find out the minimum required rpm's.

If you have the DVD iso you can mount that and look in
/Server/repodata/comps-rhel5-server-core.xml.

Find the section marked:
<group>
<id>base</id>
<name>Base</name>

this is the Base installation, i.e. the minimum required.

A sub-section of that is <packagelist> which lists all the packages which are a part of
Base. The XML doesn't help make it easily readable...

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555