NTP problem for virtual RHEL 4 server on VmWare

Eric Sisler lbylnxgek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:30:01 UTC 2008

Yong Huang <yong321 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> One recommendation from VmWare is to recompile the 2.6 kernel with HZ
>> reduced back to 100 (as it was in 2.4 kernels).  I haven't yet
>> attempted this, but I heard reports that it works nicely.

> That's only an issue for Linux in VMWare. Correct? My 2.6 kernel RH Linux uses 100 clock tick frequency:

> $ uname -r
> 2.6.9-55.ELsmp
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)
> $ getconf CLK_TCK
> 100

AFAIK, it doesn't make any difference if the server is physical or
virtual - they all use the same kernel.  Not sure what value 'getconf
CLK_TCK' is actually reporting.  All of my RHEL 3, 4 & 5 servers
(physical & virtual) report the same thing.  I don't know if the
setting I'm talking about is reported by getconf or in the /proc or
/sys filesystems.  Information about the kernel compile setting is
elsewhere at the moment, I'll check on it later.

-Eric