Upgrade of Red Hat linux 4.5 to 5.2.

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Tue Oct 14 14:38:39 UTC 2008

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
> Thanks kenneth! But if have some customers already at 4.5 , can you let me
> know how it should be done without loss of data.
> Thanks!

Loss of data.... You have one server, not more than one? You *were* planning on
doing full backups first, right?

Also, how do you have the server laid out? I've recommended in the past that
/home and /opt be separate partitions. Do you have it that way, or are you on
one big partition? If so, and you have the space, I'd *strongly* recommend
making new partitions and copying everything from those directories to the new
ones, then you can do a new install, just so long as you tell it NOT to format
them.

There's another issue: what the users have running - have you tested to see if
RHEL 5.2 breaks them?

	mark