Backward Compatibility of RHEL Advanced Server and GCC

S. Suhasini suhasini.sanamandra at cmcltd.com
Wed Oct 29 10:43:37 UTC 2008

Hello,

We have an older setup of our software with the following details:

- OS release - RHEL AS release 3

- Gcc - 2.96

- Kernel - 2.4.21-4.EL

- Glibc - 2.3.2-95.3

- Binutils - 2.14.90.0.4

- Selinux - not present

And we would like to replace the existing setup with new version of our
software which was developed on the following environment

- OS release - RHEL server release 5

- Gcc - 4.1.1

- Kernel - 2.6.18-8.el5

- Glibc - 2.5-12

- Binutils - 2.17.50.0.6-2.el5

- Selinux - disabled

- Using Log4cxx version 0.10.0

We would like to know whether the new version of the software (compiled with
the new GCC) can be deployed and run on the older setup with RHEL AS 3 and
GCC 2.96. We need not compile again on the older setup. Will there be any
run-time libraries dependency? Would be very grateful if we get a response
for this query.

Thanks,

Suhasini.