After recent upgrade, one printer not working

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Sep 16 18:01:55 UTC 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 12:32 PM, mark wrote:

> Margaret Doll wrote:
>> I have the most  recent /etc/cups/cupsd.conf working with  my network
>> printers except for one.
>> gc-hp239, an HP 4250 dtn reports a status -3  when I send  jobs to it
>> from the host RedHat system.  Jobs  from Window computers going
>> through
>> the RH server and directly from the RedHat system to gc-hp239  do not
>> print.
>>
>> I don't have the driver  for the 4250  installed on the RedHat
>> system,
>> but previous to the update
>> I  was successfully using the driver for an HP 4100.
> <snip>
> Really dumb question: using the CUPS interface, have you started the
> printer?
> For that matter, using the interface, can you print a test page?
>
> If you can do the latter, you might want to look at the CUPS config
> on that box
> more closely - did the upgrade change that, and isn't letting it be
> seen/used
> by other systems, only localhost?
>
> 	mark

By the CUPS interface,  I am assuming that you mean the web page
interface from the console.
I had started and  stopped the printer there.

I have physically rebooted the printer.

I have restarted cups several times.

I have looked  at  the printer's configuration using printtool.  I
don't see anything wrong there
except that the driver is not an exact match up.  The printer is an HP
4250.  I am using the driver for an HP 4100.  That has worked in the
past.

I noticed that when I use the web page access to the printer and try
to "Configure Printer" , I get the
messages "server-error-internal-error".

I have printed out the printer's configuration page.  I see nothing
wrong there.  Macs and Windows
computers are printing to it across the network.  TCP/IP is ready.