smbd dead but pid file exists "frustration"

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:06:41 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:36:04 am Ken Rossman wrote:
> You are looking for the file smbd.pid in this case.  Shut down smbd
> and nmbd
> (i.e. shut down samba), then look for smbd.pid and nmbd.pid, and
> delete them
> when you find them.  If samba is shut down, these files should not
> exist.
>
> Likely, they are in:
>
>    SAMBATEMPLOC/lib/<servername>/*.pid
>
> Where SAMBATEMPLOC is the location where Samba keeps temp files it needs
> while running (e.g. /usr/lib/samba, /usr/local/samba, /var/lib/
> samba), and
> <servername> is the name of your Samba server host.
>
> Ken

Hi Ken and  Pattabhi,

I guess I should have noted that when they are shutdown, there is no pid
anywhere.

So I know there is no dead pid, only time I get a dead pid is when I try to
start smb. It starts ok, then dies leaving the pid (which stopping it
clears).

But why is it stopping? testparm is fine, and the smb.conf works fine on
another box.

This is a 64-Bit box.. btw..

netstat -an shows it's listening on 445

(snip from /etc/services)
microsoft-ds    445/tcp
microsoft-ds    445/udp

netstat -an | grep 445
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445                 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN