System Monitoring Tool: PandoraFMS 2.0 released

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Sep 19 18:11:38 UTC 2008

> Mike Burger wrote:
applications, and allows you to know the status of any element of
those
>>> <snip>
>>> What does it offer that Nagios doesn't?
>> Who says it has to offer anything different?  Isn't it enough that it's an
>> option that sysadmins can investigate?
> <shakes head>
> A lot of admins, not to say companies, are conservative about this, and
nagios
> is in very common use. If they want folks to leave what works for them,
they
> need to offer a reason to change.

Isn't that up to the admins to look, evaluate, and determine whether
there's a reason to change?

>From what I read (looking at the site for the product), it's another
free/open source product, which is being offered.

I didn't read anything that indicated that Mark was suggesting that anyone
move away from what they're using...only that there's a product out there
for sysadmins to take a look at, and decide for themselves if it's
something that they're interested in.

If the original message had looked like Mark was trying to sell a product,
I'd be more inclined to agree with your questioning him, directly.  Since
neither product is a sold product, at least in base form, then I would
think it's up to the admins in question to determine whether or not they
want to take the time to check it out, or to simply live with what they
have and move on.

Of course, that could just be me. :-D
--
Mike Burger