SCSI Hot plug Tape Drive

Andrew Elliott Andrew.Elliott at istat.ca
Wed Apr 1 16:15:52 UTC 2009

I've already done the echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" >
/proc/scsi/scsi

It failed to create the device.

The 'st' module IS loaded, but says '(unused)'.

If I do:

Modprobe -r st
modprobe st
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Would that do the trick?
Should I remove the module first, then echo, then add?

How risky is this to do on RHEL3 if it's a production server (24x7)?

Thanks.

Andrew Elliott wrote:
> Problems with HP surestore DAT 72 drive, here's what happened:
>

> Drive died (/dev/st0)
>
> Removed drive
>
> Rebooted
>

> Drive no longer shows up in /dev/st0 or /proc/scsi/scsi

If you've removed the drive and rebooted, of course the drive won't show in
/proc/scsi/scsi, or as /dev/stX. There's nothing there to be scanned so
there's nothing
there to show.

> /sbin/lsmod shows that the drivers are still loaded

But the st driver only creates entries in /dev/ for tape devices which are
connected and
turned on (i.e. reply to SCSI INQUIRY).

> Is there a way to rescan the scsi bus?

Yes.
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-3942

> If the device doesn't show in /proc/scsi/scsi do I need to recreate the
> device?

No, the devices (/dev/st) are created by the st device driver. Entries in
/proc/scsi/scsi
are created by the SCSI driver when it scans the SCSI bus. After connecting
the drive, you
rescan the SCSI bus. You may need to reload the st kernel module, not sure,
it's a while
since I've tried anything like this.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555