Hardware guidelines for webservers

Reber, Simon simon.reber at roche.com
Thu Apr 16 06:25:04 UTC 2009

Mark,

I assume that the entire topic is about a webserver (according to the
subject it must be ;-)

Well for this kind of topic it's always difficult to give you a
satisfying answer since it depends on what kind of web application you
want to run.
	From a money perspective is it also important how you want to
scale the web application (horizontal or vertical)

But to the real facts.
	My experience with this topic is more or less simple.
	For a simple webserver, which is serving static pages, you don't
need much of CPU power (usually fast disk access is enough)
	For a webserver with dynamic pages and maybe a small db it is
also sufficient to have a low cost hardware (expect if you need to be HA
... But this
	can also be done with load balancer, etc.)

	If it is something big (meaning dynamic webpage with big db) it
then depends more on the database (memory access time, disk speed, etc.)
		CPU speed isn't that important (in normal cases) ~ and
in new machines you anyway have new CPU's which are more than
sufficient.

I unfortunately don't have a link in the internet with appropriate
information in it. But I hope my mentioned points are going to help you
a bit.

Cheers,
Si