resizing a partition

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 13:17:57 UTC 2009

Burcu İnci wrote:
> There is a document here :
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions

That information is out of date.

In RH4 you can use ext2online to expand a live partition. With RH5 this facility has been
rolled into resize2fs which can expand a live ext3 partition (note that this is in direct
contradiction to the information in the link you posted). resize2fs can only resize an
ext2 partition offline.

> but i want to know is there a limit

You can certainly resize a live ext3 filesystem of more than 2TB. However, since we don't
know what your filesystem is created on we can't say if it's possible to resize that
"partition" to more than 2TB. There may be some limit in the partitioning tool, or the
underlying hardware (I've come across RAID units which won't support partitions of more
than 2TB).

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555