DenyHosts alternatives for RHEL3

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Apr 21 16:59:19 UTC 2009

From: Aaron Bliss Sent: April 19, 2009 04:11
> From: Hugh E Cruickshank Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:15 AM
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a viable alternative for DenyHosts that will
> > work on RHEL3?
>
> Ipfilters

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a quick look but it looks even more
complicated than fail2ban to setup. I will have a further look at both.

I am also considering using rsync to copy the RHEL3 /var/log/secure
file to my CentOS3 box (which is currently running DenyHosts without
any problem), modify the DenyHosts to check his file and then rsync
back the /etc/hosts.deny file to the RHEL3 box. I am not sure if this
is practical but it seems less complicated then trying to get fail2ban
or Ipfilters running on a single box.

Anyway thanks for you input.

Regards, Hugh

--