Redhat DHCP errors caused by unknown machine.

Kevin Krieser k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 23 12:33:44 UTC 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 5:53 AM, ~~~0Pen ~~~ S0uRce ~~~ wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM, <Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Every Minute it says "dhcpd BOOTREQUEST from 00:18:b1:??:??:??  via
>> Bond0:
>> BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases.
>>

> the reason is very clear that there is no free IP Address available
> for your
> clients,the range which you defined in dhcpd.conf file is used by
> your other
> clients,now you have to increase the range of ip addresses in
> dhcpd.conf
> file.
>
> parameter is some thing like
>
> range  10.0.0.1       10.0.0.10; before
> range 10.0.0.1         10.0.0.15 after
>
> if you have bounded your clients with their MAC address then review
> the
> dhcpd.conf file !!
>
> correct me if i am wrong guys !!

I understood that he was actually trying to find the computer, and not
just fix the error.  There may be some rogue system on the network
trying to gain an IP address.

Normally, you would probably use a managed switch to track down the
segment where it is present.

Maybe someone has an illicit wifi AP on the network, and someone close
tries to join?

Maybe someone has changed their MAC address bound to a card?

Maybe someone has a virtual machine installed on their computer?