is apache 2.2.11 certified by Red Hat?

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Wed Aug 12 17:22:27 UTC 2009

ESGLinux wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> thanks for your answer,
>
> The problem with this approach is that Red Hat does not give support to my
> production system if I installed a not certified version. I have paid a lot
> of money in suscriptions to have the system certified and this package is
> out the support.
>
> It can happens with other packages, so, is there any way to do it without
> lose the support?
>
> greetings,
>
> ESG

RedHat are pretty staunch about not certifying any package outside their
normal process, I am not aware of any that have been prioritized
although I imagine that if enough users demanded it, they might consider
doing so, but with a major package like httpd the possibility is dubious.

Changing a package like httpd could break a lot of their clients'
servers, and that is simply unacceptable to a company that makes all of
its income on support contracts. Even the necessary security backport
updates are carefully scrutinized and tested to make sure that any
problems resulting from the change are minimized.

I wouldn't even know how to approach making such a request, it certainly
would not go in Bugzilla.

Out of curiosity, what feature is it that you want to have from the
newer, uncertified (by RedHat) version of Apache?

Cheers,

--

Paul