how to get the number of sockets

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Tue Aug 18 12:58:53 UTC 2009

DMI type 7 looks like CPU cache information.  DMI type 4 is the actual
processor information, but from what you've indicated, it doesn't report
empty sockets.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/dmidecode

On my machines, I get this as one of the type 7 entries.
        DMI type 7, 19 bytes.
        Cache Information
                Socket Designation: Processor 1 Internal L1 Cache
                Configuration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 1
                Operational Mode: Write Back
                Location: Internal
                Installed Size: 8 KB
                Maximum Size: 32 KB