RHEL 3 on VMware chrashed, resulting in "directory contains a hole" messages

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:50:27 UTC 2009

Hello list.

One of our RHEL 3 servers (it's scheduled to be replaced withing weeks) just
crashed, and I could use some advice on how to get it up and running.

It's running as an Vmware ESX 3.5 guest, and chrashed when I removed a
snapshot earlier today. If I understand correctly it lost contact with the
virtual disks or something of that kind, resulting in this type of message
in syslog:

* kernel: EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,0)): ext3_readdir: directory
#1724801 contains a hole at offset 3014656
*

I'm not sure if our Vmware-admins will be able to resque the server based on
the config files, and and since the backup is very old (backup haven't run
because of the snapshot) I'd like to try and resque the system.
So, any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. I've booted into single
user mode, and since I don't know the system in very much detail I've not
yet succeeded in finding wether it has lost logical volumes or anything.

Regards,
Kenneth Holter