Linux system administration methodology or best pratice

Carl G. Riches cgr at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 26 16:18:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Kenneth Holter wrote:

> Hello all.
>

> I work as a linux system administrator, and were wondering if there exists
> any methodology that systematize this kind of work.
>
> Linux in my organization is a pretty new platform, so we're working on
> developing and improving everything from patching routines to user
> administration to security. We've been doing a lot of work with regards to
> these (and other) areas, but I believe we could benefit from read up on
> methodology or best practices that describes the whole field of linux system
> administration. we've got access to technical documentation, so that not an
> issue. What we need is a way to be even more structured and thus effective
> in adminitrating our linux servers.
>
> What I hope such a methodology or best practice documentation is things such
> as these:
>
>   - Guidelines to set up a technical standard for linux servers
>   - How to develop an effective, automated system for documenting the state
>   of the linux servers (i.e. asset management type of thing)
>   - How to set up long term plans for developing routines and
>   infrastructure to make the linux servers more secure and easy to manage
>   - etc
>
> Feel free to point me in the direction of web sites, book, etc that may hold
> the infomation I'm looking for.

Some places to start might be these books:

   The Practice of System and Network Administration (2nd ed)
   Thomas A. Limoncelli, Christina J. Hogan, Strata R. Chalup
   Addison Wesley (2007)

   Linux Administration Handbook (2nd ed)
   Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, and Trent R. Hein
   Pearson Education (2006)

Carl

--
Carl G. Riches