Linux system administration methodology or best practice

Shaughnessy, Kevin kshaughnessy at carrols.com
Thu Aug 27 21:05:44 UTC 2009

I am also looking for hands-on advice for Red Hat administration,
specifically regarding updates:
 -  I'd like a sandbox system to apply them, and test them.  Do I have
to buy the same level of support for this "trash able" system? (I've
already ruled out Fedora and CentOS, as I need to maintain compatibility
with EMC PowerPath and Oracle.)
 -  By the time I've evaluated a set of updates, there are new ones, and
yum always pulls the newest.  How do I migrate my 'approved' set from
sandbox to development to production?
 -  How often do you apply updates to your production servers?  Security
updates?

Thanks,