Problem in detecting the network cards on RH

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed Dec 2 18:52:35 UTC 2009

We have a RedHat system running the  2.6.18-53.el5  operating system.

The hardware on the system includes two ethernet cards:

		 Broadcom 5761 PCI express NIC
		Intel  Pro 1000 CT Gb PCI

We have the drivers recommended for the cards installed; namely, tg3
and e1000.  I can see these drivers listed when I run lsmod.

lspci  can see the two ethernet cards.

However, hwbrowser and dmidecode do not see any ethernet devices.

When we originally tried to put the system on the network, we saw an
sit connection.  We disabled sit by
adding "alias net-pf-10 off "  to /etc/modprobe.conf  to turn off
IPv6.  Truning off IPv6 in /etc/sysconfig/network did not do the trick.

We have /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
ifcfg-eth0 set up correctly.

On a reboot and then using "ifconfig", we only see the lo network
connection.

How do we connect to the ethernet cards?