How many processors are active in box ?

dustin at larmeir.com dustin at larmeir.com
Thu Dec 17 10:59:21 UTC 2009

Dmidecode will show you the amount of physical processors installed:
Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
Processor Information
        Socket Designation: CPU 1
        Type: Central Processor
        Family: Unknown
        Manufacturer: AMD
        ID: 33 0F 04 00 FF FB 8B 17
        Signature: Family 15, Model 67, Stepping 3
        Flags:
                FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
                VME (Virtual mode extension)
                DE (Debugging extension)
                PSE (Page size extension)
                TSC (Time stamp counter)
                MSR (Model specific registers)
                PAE (Physical address extension)
                MCE (Machine check exception)
                CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
                APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
                SEP (Fast system call)
                MTRR (Memory type range registers)
                PGE (Page global enable)
                MCA (Machine check architecture)
                CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
                PAT (Page attribute table)
                PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
                CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
                MMX (MMX technology supported)
                FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
                SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
                SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
                HTT (Hyper-threading technology)
        Version: Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1216 HE
        Voltage: 1.5 V
        External Clock: 200 MHz
        Max Speed: 2400 MHz
        Current Speed: 2400 MHz
        Upgrade: Unknown
        L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005
        L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006
        L3 Cache Handle: 0x0007
        Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
        Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
        Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

As you can see by my output I have a amd opteron 1216 which is dual core but
only shows one proc installed in the output ( /proc/cpuinfo shows that the
OS sees) dmidecode will show you what the BIOS sees. I also checked and the
opteron 850 is a solo core processor. I would think that redhat would still
work with the other processors, and that this is more of a licensing thing
but I am not sure. I work with AS exclusively so I am not sure how the ES
product works in this scenario. I imagine in the worst case you could
compile a kernel from source from kernel.org and work around that ( this
breaks support from redhat though ) - Dustin