ssh tcp wrapper vs ssh public keys

MadTh madan.feedback at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 22:29:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

While this question is very loosely linked to be discussed in this forum, I
am tempted to ask this here, as I am sure there are enough experts here to
provide helpful advice.

Is there any advantage of using  ssh public keys over passwd authentication
( other than that, its just additional security measure)  when I am already
using ssh tcp wrapper ( /etc/hosts.allow ; /etc/hosts.deny) and I know that
the IP sources that are allowed to login from are fully trusted?

 Or  how could a hacker be at a more advantageous position under following
circumstances { also assume in another scenerio that,  say the hacker( or
script kiddie) got some sort of access from a web shell script ( like c99
)}:

1) someone uses ssh public keys ( passwd authentication
2) ssh tcp wrapper to allow only specifc and highly trusted IPs

Thank you