Problems with RHEL 5 server: NFS related?

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Tue Feb 3 15:42:36 UTC 2009

1)What is the OS and version of your clients?
2)uname -a on the RHEL 5 server.
3)I am not clear which error messages appear on the NFS client and which
on the NFS server for the symptoms below:

>    1. Running "ls" a particular folder gave us an input/output error. This
>    folder is exported read only as an NFS share, and was mounted on a client.
>    2. Running "/etc/init.d/nfs stop" resulted in a error containing
>    "Shutting down NFS services:  exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/etab for
>    locking" and "rm: cannot remove `/var/lock/subsys/nfs': Read-only file
>    system"

4)Can you show us both the /etc/exports on the server and the /etc/fstab
(or vfstab for Solaris)?

Best regards,
GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios