Losing the Graphics on RedHat

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Feb 18 22:43:50 UTC 2009

Hi, Margaret,

>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:26:43 -0500
>From: Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu>
>
>The graphics on our system was working yesterday.
>
>Today when the system was rebooted, one can see the details of the
>reboot including the Red screen showing the kernels installed on the
>system.  However, when the gnome login screen should appear, we are
>now only getting a dark blue screen.

Sounds like the X config file is screwed up. You can try playing around with the xconfigurator, or whatever xorg's got. xfree86 used to have one that would give you a graphical screen, and ask if it worked, and you could play with it to get what you want, but I haven't found the equivalent in xorg.

When you do get it right, back up the xorg.conf file....

     mark