any tool to help configure bonding?

Cal Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 18:16:58 UTC 2009

That is an extremely old document. Try some of the other referenced I
listed below. There is no GUI tool to setup bonded interfaces, at least
not on RHEL 4, but there is guidance in the on-line Red Hat Enterprise
Linux documentation.

Interface Configuration Files
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html

It basically involves four files for a 2 interface bond. Once they're
setup you should not need to touch them again. Mine are shown below as
an example.

Some things to remember:

1. You must configure your switch for bonded operation too or you will
not achieve the performance boost you expect. Switch vendors use
different terms such as "bonding", "joining", "trunking" or "link
aggregation". Some switches can do this automatically. The 3Com switches
we used required manual configuration.

2. You may need to set the mode of the bonding kernel driver as we did.
Use the mode that implements the type of bonding you require. Your
switch must be compatible with the mode you choose. We used mode 4.

Mode 4:
Sets an IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation policy. Creates
aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings.
Transmits and receives on all slaves in the active aggregator. Requires
a switch that is 802.3ad compliant.

3. Be advised that some applications or system tools may have problems
with bonded interfaces. We initially had problems with "netdump" over
bonded interfaces. After opening a Red Hat support ticket netdump was
eventually patched.

Cheers!

./Cal

Other References:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux On-Line Manuals:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

bonding Module Directives
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s3-modules-bonding-directives.html

Linux Ethernet Bonding Driver HOWTO:
(must have "kernel-doc" pkg installed)
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.9/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt

## Sample Network Configuration Files ##

/etc/modprobe.conf
------------------
alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=4 miimon=100
------------------
Note: You should already have the "alias" lines for your two physical
interfaces.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=192.168.2.255
IPADDR=192.168.2.6