xen vm not keeping date/time properly

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Jan 22 19:44:54 UTC 2009

George Magklaras wrote:

> Ryan Golhar wrote:
>> 9.2.2.2 says xen just passed the time-related calls to Dom0, but that
>> can't be the case because the times are different.
>>
> That is because if you do run ntpd inside the VM, this can create the
> problem.
>
>> noselect?  inside the VM?
>>
> Yes on the guest system, and run ntpd normally on the Dom0.

I'm running ntpd normally on the host, and ntpd inside the VM using the
noselect parameter on the server line, such as:

server siriusc.umdnj.edu	noselect
server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org	noselect
server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org	noselect
server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org	noselect

After about a half hour after restarting the ntpd server inside the
guest, I'm noticing clock skew of about 30 seconds.  I'm sure this will
continue to grow.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm surprised there isn't a solution to this.  This is a huge problem,
especially for an enterprise system that relies on the date/time being
correct.

Ryan