How to change disk sequence on DELL R900 with LINUX

Thomas Fess dfezz1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 20:37:47 UTC 2009

Yes, I understand.
What I am saying is that Linux doesn't work that way.
Your /boot will alwasy be in the same place physically and (swap, / ) but the device name will change due to the time the OS sees the device.  So whichever disk/device is up/availiable first gets /dev/sda (if it's scsi)  What you need to do is get the scsi LUN ID or SCSI device ID and map or setup using that ID# and not the /dev/sd?  That ID will never change for that disk / lun / device whatever

Example:

What you currently use:

/etc/fstab output ->

/dev/sda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/sda2 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

Use UUID:
	1. Get UUID for your root device. Let's assume your root file system is located in disk device /dev/sda as in the example below:
[root at linuxhost ~]#scsi_id -g -s -u /block/sda

	2. Using the following command to check the ID for your root file system device with the device UUID you get from step 1.
[root at linuxhost ~]#ls /dev/disk/by-id/<your device UUID>

	3. Use UUID in your system by editing /etc/fstab as in this example:
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-<your uuid>-part2 / ext3  defaults  1 1