backup system for RHEL

Nishanth Chandran nishuchandran at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:07:07 UTC 2009

Hello,
Did anybody tried Mondo Rescue?? http://www.mondorescue.org/

*Mondo is reliable.* It backs up your GNU/Linux server or workstation to
tape, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R[W], DVD+R[W], NFS or hard disk partition. In the
event of catastrophic data loss, you will be able to restore all of your
data [or as much as you want], from bare metal if necessary. Mondo is in use
by Lockheed-Martin, Nortel Networks, Siemens, HP, IBM, NASA's JPL, the US
Dept of Agriculture, dozens of smaller companies, and tens of thousands of
users.

*Mondo is comprehensive.* Mondo supports LVM 1/2, RAID, ext2, ext3, ext4,
JFS, XFS, ReiserFS, VFAT, and can support additional filesystems easily:
your request. It supports software raid as well as most hardware raid
controllers. It supports adjustments in disk geometry, including migration
from non-RAID to RAID. Mondo runs on all major Linux distributions (RedHat,
RHEL, SuSE, SLES, Mandriva, Debian, Gentoo) and is getting better all the
time. You may even use it to backup non-Linux partitions, such as NTFS.

*Mondo is free!* It has been published under the GPL v2 (GNU Public
License), partly to expose it to thousands of potential beta-testers but
mostly as a contribution to the Linux community.

Cheers,

Nishanth

2009/7/24 ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com>

> Well
> Finally these are the results of the test:
>
> time dd if=/home/images/nodo1.img of=/home/images/backup/nodo1backup.img
> bs=1M
> 10240+1 records in
> 10240+1 records out
> 10737418242 bytes (11 GB) copied, 255,37 seconds, 42,0 MB/s
>
> real    4m20.980s
> user    0m0.028s
> sys     0m19.461s
> # ll nodo1.img
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10737418242 jul 24 14:28 nodo1.img
> # ll backup/nodo1backup.img
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10737418242 jul 24 14:27 backup/nodo1backup.img
>

> In 4 minutes I have made a copy of the image and then I used it and it
> works
> fine.
>
> The problem I see with this, is the size of the image. When you make a real
> snapshot the size is very small, but with this method the size is the same
> as the original image. Backing up this file to an external device will take
> a long time.
>
> For me, it´s valid, because I have a small number of images, but for a big
> number of images It will be impossible to make this backup.
>
> Another aproach to this problem?
>
> ESG
>

> 2009/7/24 Geofrey Rainey <Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz>
>
> > Na you won't break anything apart from maybe increasing the load/ i/o
> wait
> > On your server..otherwise you'll get a nice backup :) (make sure you've
> got
> > The exact same space as the partition you're backing up too)

This is Unix and Linux country, on a quiet night you can hear Windows
Reboot.