Setting a password policy

a bv vbavbalist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:47:03 UTC 2009

Hi

I m trying to set password policies on my Redhat EL 3,4,5 boxes. I use
the http://brandonhutchinson.com/wiki/Linux_Password_Policy link and
also found your http://sial.org/howto/linux/pam_tally/ .

For the /var/log/faillog part Ive found  that there is a already file
at a Redhat 5 (with a size), but doesnt exits on a 4 box. So i created
it on Redhat 4 as given, but the log file size is 0. Also when i try
to cat or more the faillog file on 5 box which has a size, brings
nothing.
So how can i make the system log the failed attemps?

Regards