LAMP on RHEL 5 (Server)

Mukerjee, Neiloy (Neil) neil.mukerjee at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Jul 16 17:47:33 UTC 2009

I am running Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 (server) and trying to set it up as a LAMP.

I have Apache 2.2.3, as is displayed to me when I run: httpd -v
I have PHP 5.1.6, as displayed when I run: php -v
I have MySQL 5.0.45, as displayed when I start MySQL.

I can access my localhost from on the machine (via links http://localhost/), and when I do this, the sample index.html file I stored in /var/www/html/ is displayed properly, but when I try to view it from a different machine's browser via the IP address, a connection can't be established. Is this something to do with network configuration or the firewall, perhaps? I can't seem to find anything like this online, so any advice as to what settings might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.