Is this sysstem supported by RHEL Server?

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 06:56:53 UTC 2009

On 7/15/09, Geofrey Rainey <Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz> wrote:
> Point 1: I'm sorry, I can't really elaborate on this. We run RHEL at my
> work on ESX, with support, and we've never considered the underlying
> hardware, it
> Just works, and it is supported.

Thanks for your reply. I have also asked Red Hat support about this:

My question:
">>So basically if we have 4 physical CPU-sockets in our ESX servers we need
to use only RHEL Advanced Platform to make sure the hardware configuration
is supported. Is this correct?"

The reply from RH Support:

"Yes this is correct. "

So as far as I have understood it is the number of sockets in the
physical VMware host that determines what version of RHEL you need to
run on the virtual guests to have a supported configuration:

For 2 CPU-sockets in the physical host you can use RHEL Server and
for a 2+ CPU socket physical host you need to use RHEL Advanced Platform.

The number of virtual cpus assigned to a RHEL guest is therefore
irrelevant as far
as I know.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud